About The Activity
Waterfall ice climbing is one of the most spectacular arts of winter sports and the Dolomites are one of the best places to do this! Our low tutoring ratio ensures a safe framework, effective learning and flexibility During this course we will acquire the “know how” to tackle on our own multi pitch ice climbs in a safe and professional style.
Day 1: Meetingpoint at 5pm in the hotel in Füssen (Allgäu). Welcome, equipement handover , introduction talk, eventually introduction to various knots.
Day 2:First ice climbing day. Depending on condition in the Tannheimertal or on our way to the Hotel in South Tirol (Italy). Introduction to using ice axes and crampons in easy terrain.
Day 3: Ice protection & technique improvement.The entire day will be dedicated to learn how to lead climb on ice. Placing and cleaning of ice srews, preparation of gear, buildiing belay stances in ice. Additionally working on climbing techniques - how to climb efficiently and econimical, how to pass an ice bulge and how to traverse and to move fast on ice just to name a few examples.Video Analysis.
Day 4: L Leadclimbing in ice. At first a pseudo lead climb while placing ice screws and later on, the option to lead the same icefall, while independently placing screws.Video Analysis.
Day 5: Preparation day for multi-pitch climbing. How to build a stance and to belay on ice multi-pitch climb..
Day 6: Multipitch climb - under the supervision of the guide you are gioing to climb a long waterfall while switching leads. This is one of the most significant days of the course & for most of the participants an absolute highlight.
Day 7: Mix climbing - The last day of the course, a short day which we'll spend in a climbing area with short and steep waterfalls or mix routes. "Mix" is a climbing technique which became an integral part of modern alpinism. The ability to use axes and crampons on rock and thin ice opened new horizons in mountaineering, nowadays most of the difficult mountain routes worldwide are being climbed using this climbing style!
At around 14:00 we'll head back to Germany with the intent to be back at the hotel in Füßen around 18:00.
Day 8: End of the activity after the breakfast.
* The mentioned timetable is exemplary and may vary due to conditions, ability of the participants, safety & weather limitations.
Fitness Levels & Technical Ability
- This activity fits sure footed people with an ability to go up 1000 meter a day (fitness level B)
- experience in rock climbing including lead climbing and belaying is required
- experience in ice climbing is not required
Dates and Booking
Option 1: 13.01.2019 - 19.01.2019
Option 2: 20.01.2019 - 26.01.2019
Option 3: 10.02.2019 - 16.02.2019
Here you can book online!
Price and Services
1200,00 € per person
- 8 days of activity- 6 days in the mountains.
- Planning and guiding by an IFMGA/UIAGM qualified guide/Aspirant.
- Guiding in a max 1:4 ratio (allows a fast progress).
- Avalanche safety equipment.
- Modern & high level ice climbing equipment (excluding clothing and shoes).
- Video analysis.
- Transportation during the activity.
- flights/ traveling costs to Füssen
- personal insurances
- mountaineering shoes rental (in case needed)
- overnights in a mountain hut or in the valley (1/2 pension 55- 65€ per night for a participant sharing a double bedroom)
- estimated total expenses 1500,00 €